So we’ve all heard about oysters being an aphrodisiac, but how often do you reach for the oysters in the fridge when you’re ready to spice things up a bit?
We did a little research and it turns out that many of our everyday foods are packed with serious chemicals that give our sex lives an immediate boost. Trust us, the produce section will never look the same again.
1. Chocolate: The cocoa in chocolate contains methylxanthines, stimulants that increase your body’s sensitivity — ensuring that your skin registers even the slightest touch or movement against it. Chocolate also contains phenylethylamine, a chemical that can give you a slight natural high. For many people, the feeling is similar to the sensations you experience when you first fall in love.
2. Chiles – Capsaicin, a chemical found in fiery peppers, increases circulation to get blood pumping and stimulates nerve endings so you’ll feel more turned on.
3. Vanilla Ice Cream – Vanilla stimulates nerves, making sexual sensations feel even better. In addition, studies have found that when men smell the scent of vanilla, it relaxes them, reducing anxiety and inhibitions. And when it comes to sex, ice cream is endurance food: It has high levels of calcium and phosphorus, two minerals that build your muscles’ energy reserves and boost your libido. All that calcium (200 milligrams in the typical bowl) can also make your orgasms more powerful, since the muscles that control ejaculation need calcium in order to spasm and contract properly, says Sarah Brewer, M.B., author of “Increase Your Sex Drive”.
4. Avocados – The vitamin E in this summer fruit helps your body churn out hormones like testosterone, estrogen, and progesterone, which circulate in your bloodstream and stimulate certain swelling and lubrication responses.
5. Celery – It’s stringy and tastes like crunchy water, but celery is the swizzle stick that can stir up your sex life. Every stalk of the stuff is packed with androstenone and androstenol, two powerful pheromones. The pheromones travel up the back of your throat to your nose, boosting your arousal, turning you on and causing your body to send off scents and signals that make you more desirable to the opposite sex.
6. Bananas – Turns out there’s more to this phallus-shaped fruit than we thought. Chiquitas deliver potassium, a nutrient key to muscle strength. So when you orgasm, the contractions will be superintense.
7. Watermelon –This juicy fruit contains the phytonutrient citrulline, which leads to an uptick in the amount of nitric oxide in your body. That spike causes blood vessels to relax and speeds up circulation. As a result, you’ll get more aroused in less time.
8. Blueberries – Forget Viagra. Mother Nature’s original blue potency capsule may do even more for you. They’re loaded with soluble fiber, which helps push excess cholesterol through your digestive system before it can be broken down, absorbed, and deposited along the walls of your arteries. They’re also packed with compounds that help relax your blood vessels, improving circulation. The benefit of lower cholesterol and better bloodflow? More blood to the genitals and stronger erections.
9. Walnuts – They’re packed with omega-3 fatty acids, which help to stabilize moods and keep sex-hormone production at its peak. Salmon, pumpkin seeds and flaxseeds also contain the good stuff.
10. Red wine – Besides relaxing you faster than a neck rub can, red wine contains resveratrol, an antioxidant that helps boost blood flow and improves circulation before and during intercourse.
Thanks for the tips, Men’s Health and Cosmo. Bon appetit!
Diggin’ this menu?
It’s straight from our Yoga For Better Sex singles event. Sign up below to be the first to know when the next Yoga & Sexuality event is announced!